New Normal, New Needs, New Steps for Ensured Safety
Keeping our residents and employees safe has been and continues to be our number one priority. As we work to manage the impact and ongoing concerns of the Coronavirus, Covenant Living is introducing our Safer Home Commitment at every location throughout the country – we’ve developed very specific protocols to create a Safer Home for our residents and the employees that serve them. Learn more by downloading our PDF!
Our Safer Home Commitment includes:
- Testing of Skilled Nursing and Assisted Living residents and healthcare employees for COVID-19
- Disease prevention best practices, including handwashing, appropriate physical distancing, and proper use of facial coverings or masks for employees and residents
- Increased frequency of cleanings and ensuring all disinfectants used are proven effective against COVID-19
- Designated containment rooms in skilled nursing for the care and movement of COVID-19 patients, as well as limitations for the number of staff permitted to enter (always with required PPE)
- Portable handwashing stations to encourage frequent handwashing
- Additional housekeeping staff, added to meet increased cleaning demands
- Weekly training for housekeeping staff on proper handwashing, donning of PPE, and cleaning resident rooms
- Increased frequency of laundry and trash pick-up
- Covenant Living expects to begin receiving the COVID vaccine by the end of December in many communities, which will be offered on a voluntary basis to residents and employees.
For review of the current procedures in place to minimize exposure:
- Once a possible exposure has occurred, or if an active positive case has been identified, a standardized questionnaire is utilized to determine level of exposure for residents and employees.
- If new admissions are necessary, we are accepting those cases in a controlled and safe manner.
- As a healthcare organization, we are providing ongoing training to our staff on the following protocols:
- Proper infection control;
- Proper personal protective equipment (PPE) use;
- PPE sequencing; and
- PPE strategies to optimize use.
- As an organization we are following what the CDC is recommending to ensure the safety of our employees and residents.
- Our central office leaders are meeting multiple times throughout the day, monitoring the situation with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), State and Local agencies on an hourly basis to ensure we stay informed of the latest developments.
- We have dedicated staff working around the clock to secure PPE supplies, to ensure we are in the best position possible to ensure staff and resident safety.
- Additionally, as a reminder, we are taking the following measures to keep our employees and residents safe:
- Elevated our cleaning schedule in all levels of care and common spaces
- Restricted community access allowing entrance to only resident and essential personnel
- Practicing social distancing
- Reduced employees crossing over to multiple levels of care (i.e. cross over between Residential Living and Assisted Living)
- Continuing education for employees on proper cleaning and safe handling
- Eliminated all congregating of 10 or more people
Please consult our downloadable PDF for the full overview of protocols and processes put in place as part of Our Safer Home Commitment. If you have questions about this or would like to learn more, please contact us today! We’re here to help.